Plan ahead - What do I need to submit a proposal?
The OAH proposal submission system is accessed via the OAH User Portal during the open period. It is advisable to collect all information ahead of time in order to simplify and reduce any frustrations for the proposal submitter. The below information is intended as a guide to simplify the process.
Information needed for sessions
There are several different "types" of proposals that are available for submission via the portal. All types need the same information, however some, like "paper presentations," will need additional information. To view a full list of types please click here.
You will be asked to select up to three subject areas and one time period from the lists below.
- Title - please ensure you input the title exactly as you would like it to appear in the print program
- Abstract - the abstract should be no longer than 500 words. This is the abstract that is sent to the program committee to review
- Subject Areas
African American | Agricultural and Rural | Animal Studies | Archives and Bibliography | Asian American | Biography/Memoir | Borderlands | Business and Economy | Consumerism and Consumption | Crime and Violence | Demography | Digital History | Disability Studies | East | Education | Environment | Ethnicity | Family | Film | Gender | Gender and Sexuality | General/Survey | Immigration and Internal Migration | Intellectual | International Relations | Labor and Working-Class | Latino/a | Legal and Constitutional | LGBTQ History and Queer Studies | Material Culture and Architecture | Media and Communications | Medical History | Midwest | Military | Museums | Music | National Park Service | Nationalism and Transnationalism | Native Americans and Indigenous Peoples | Politics | Popular Culture | Print Culture | Professional Development | Public History and Memory | Race | Religion | Science and Technology | Science, Medicine, and Public Health | Sexuality | Slavery | Social and Cultural | Social Welfare and Public Health | |Sports and Recreation | Teaching and Pedagogy | Theory and Methodology | Transportation, Travel, and Exploration | Urban and Suburban | Visual and Performing Arts | West | Women's History
1980s to the Present | 19th Century | 20th Century | Antebellum | Civil War and Reconstruction | Colonial/Revolutionary | Early National | Gilded Age & Progressive Era | Postwar | Pre-Columbian | Survey | World War I - World War II
- For all types except "paper presentations" - 100 word abstract. This information will be printed in the program
- For "paper presentations" only - Paper titles and up to 500 word abstract for each
- If your proposal is solicited by an affiliate group, please note this in the "Solicited by Committee or Association" field. If your session is not solicited please leave blank
- The "Additional Information" field is provided for any information you would like the program committee to be aware of, such as order of presentations
Information needed for participants
Participants are selected via the OAH User Portal, for this reason all participants must have an account in the system to be added to a submission. If a participant does not have an account the proposal submitter may initiate one for them.
Please note: if an account is initiated by the proposal submitter the participant will receive an email to finalize their account. This account is neccessary in order to receive notifications, complete speaker agreements, and view schedules.
Please ask participants to supply their names as listed in the OAH User Portal - on occassion participants list their names differently in their OAH accounts making it difficult to locate. Knowing their listed names will ensure you do not inadvertently create a new account for them. Creating duplicate accounts can cause confusion for the participant when they attempt to sign their agreements as the session will be associated with a different account.
Brief biography for each participant - 500 word limit. Please do not paste a CV.
If a participant does not have an account in the OAH User Portal you will have to create one for them. Please ensure you have the following information:
- First, middle (if applicable), and last name
- Email Address (the email is needed in order to send the participant the verification to complete their account)
- Phone number
- Either work or home address (Street, City, State, Zip)
- Biography (500 word limit) - please do not supply a CV
Assistance is always available by emailing email@example.com