OAH Career COACH®
Welcome to the OAH Career COACH® - Creating Opportunities for Advancing our Community of Historians! This online center was designed to help you, your students, or anyone with an advanced degree in American history, navigate today's job market. In the past, obtaining a doctoral degree in American history inevitably meant that you pursued a career in academia. Jobs in American history are not limited to those in academia. In fact, many times we hear that doctoral students should prepare a Plan B or Plan C for a career in history. However, there are many good, interesting, and intellectually stimulating jobs outside the academy. Having historians in these positions ensures that the public is exposed to "good history." Jobs outside academia can be part of a graduate student's Plan A if graduate schools and advisers understand the market for American history graduates and prepare them for it. The OAH's Plan A is to help both students and advisers understand this market and the varied and rewarding jobs in the field of American history and extend value to its members through this website.
We hope you will use this site during your and your students' entire academic journey. Since part of the site is restricted to members only, we encourage you to join the OAH or to sponsor one or more of your students.
OAH Career COACH® Contents
- Suggestions for the Job Seeker in American History
- Online Resources
- Useful Career Materials Useful articles and books to help in your career decisions.
- Job Opportunities and Statistics Overview of opportunities available to those with advanced degrees in history and links to job outlooks (statistics) for history and non-history related jobs.
- Job Listings (OAH Career Center)
- Other Employment Resource Sites
OAH Members Exclusive Content
- Career COACH® Advice - Read articles on career planning, resume development, networking and social media, and ask questions of a career coach dedicated exclusively to academics.
- Interviews - Read interviews with individuals working in history-related fields and gain information about how they obtained these careers.
- Fellowship and Postdoctoral Opportunities for U.S. Historians - This PDF contains a listing of fellowship and postdoctoral opportunities for U.S. historians organized by funding agency. It is a work in progress. We will be updating it each week as we find new opportunities to share with you. We update this list as we . Please email us at email@example.com if you have additions for the list. [Requires membership login to view]
- Article: "History Master's Graduates Job Prospects Are Part of A Larger Trend: Improvements Are Needed Now to Assist All College Alumni" by Laura J. Sweeney [Requires membership login to view]
Please contact Beth English if you have useful resources to post on this site.