- The median pay for archivists is $45,200.
- As of 2010, there were about 6,100 archivists in the U.S.
- The job outlook for archivists is estimated at 12 percent growth (or the average growth rate for jobs).
- Many archivists have degrees in library science, so to enter this field, you may have to obtain a library degree in addition to your PhD.
- For more information on what archivists do, educational requirements, work environment, skills needed, etc., see http://bls.gov/ooh/education-training-and-library/print/archivists.htm.
- Also, for more information about the profession, visit thewebsites of the Society of American Archivists and the certification body for archivists, The Academy of Certified Archivists.
Read interviews with individuals with Ph.Ds. in American history who work in archives
< Back to "Opportunities & Statistics"