- The median pay for librarians is $54,500.
- As of 2010, there were 156,100 librarians in the United States.
- The job outlook for librarians from 2010—2020 is expected to be 7 percent growth (which is slower than average).
- Librarians usually require an MSLS degree, and there are many different specialties for library science.
- For more information on what librarians do, educational requirements, work environment, skills needed, etc., see http://www.bls.gov/ooh/education-training-and-library/print/librarians.htm
See also thesewebsites of professional librarian associations:
- American Library Association
- American Association of Law Libraries
- American Association of School Librarians
- Association for Information Science and Technology
- Association of College and Research Libraries
- Association of Research Libraries
- National Association of Government Archives and Record Administration
- Special Libraries Association
For a complete list of the many library associations (including state and local associations), go to http://slisweb.sjsu.edu/professional-associations