CFP: The Conference on Women and the Civil War 2022
The Society for Women and the Civil War
The Conference on Women and the Civil War 2022: Women of the Valley
July 22 – 24, 2022, in Harrisonburg, Virginia
The Society invites proposals for presentations examining the lives, service and contributions of Civil War-era women in the Shenandoah regional cultural area during intervals of peace, military campaigning, and occupation. It particularly welcomes presentations on the roles of women in agriculture; women replacing male labor on farms, in business, in education, and in transportation; the means by which educational systems continued despite disruptions; the effects of occupation on society and the economy; the protection and preservation of civilian resources during military campaigning and occupation; the impact of occupation and military rule upon civilians; defense of homes and property, and resistance against occupation; the roles of religious congregations in community assistance; relationships and interaction between different sociological groups in the area; women pacifists during the war; and the effects of technology upon women during the war. Proposals for presentations regarding other relevant topics will be welcomed for consideration.
Potential speakers should submit by electronic means:
- A synopsis of the presentation, not more than three (3) pages. The synopsis must indicate why the presentation is related to the conference theme. It must also include a description of visual and physical aids used to illustrate and highlight the presentation, and identify the technology required to use the aids.
- A bibliography of the sources used, with an emphasis on the primary sources.
- A personal biography of not more than two (2) pages, including a listing of credentials, prior presentations (if any), publications (if any), and contact information. Links to on-line presentations made previously are considered quite useful.
Submissions will be evaluated principally upon the following criteria:
- Originality of the topic.
- Relevancy of the topic to the lives and efforts of women in the Civil War era and to the conference theme.
- Quality of research, highlighting the use of primary sources.
- Quality of the presentation, including the use of visual aids.
- Presentation ability of the speaker.
- Anticipated attendee interest level for the topic.
- Originality of the presentation.
Submissions from graduate students are encouraged. Subjects examined from a micro-history perspective are also welcomed. Displays on topics related to the theme are welcome.
Please send submissions, and any questions or inquires, to: email@example.com
ATTN: 2022 Conference Speaker Proposals.
All Submissions must be received by November 1, 2021.
Posted: September 7, 2021
Tagged: Calls for Papers