2019 OAH Annual Meeting | Philadelphia
Thank you to all who attended, participated, and made the 2019 OAH Annual Meeting | Conference on American History a resounding success! We look forward to seeing you at the 2020 conference in Washington, D.C.
Scroll through photos from the conference here!
The OAH Annual Meeting is the premiere conference on American history that occurs in April of every year. We invite all those interested in American history to join us in Philadelphia, April 4-7, 2019. New in 2019 we invite attendees to explore our workshops on Sunday, April 7!
From the historical profession's beginnings in the late 19th and early 20th century, freedom has been a dominant theme in research, writing, and public debates on the shape, content, and character of the American experience. Over a century of scholarship and popular discussions have illuminated topics such as the diverse struggles for freedom, the denial of freedom, the limits of freedom, the prospects of freedom, the sources of freedom, the obligations of freedom, the value of freedom, the geographies of freedom, and the meaning of freedom, to name several. Marking the 400th Anniversary of the arrival of the first enslaved Africans in British North America, the theme of this program shifts the lens to the "Work of Freedom." It aims to capture the labor(s) involved in identifying and securing freedom, from the colonial era and founding of the Republic through the recent election of Donald J. Trump President of the United States.
2019 OAH Annual Meeting Program Committee
- Joe W. Trotter Jr., (Cochair), Carnegie Mellon University
- Kate Haulman, (Cochair), American University
- Carol Anderson, Emory University
- Adrian Burgos Jr., University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Spencer Crew, George Mason University
- James N. Gregory, University of Washington
- Thomas A. Guglielmo, George Washington University
- Mary C. Kelley, University of Michigan
- Karen Miller, LaGuardia Community College
- Kenneth Smith, Pittsburgh Perry High School
- Edward Tebbenhoff, Luther College
2019 OAH Annual Local Resource Committee
- Natanya Duncan (Chair), Lehigh University)
- Zara Anishanslin, University of Delaware
- Jacqueline Akins, Community College of Philadelphia
- Ivan Henderson, African American Museum of Philadelphia
- David Young, Cliveden
- Randall Miller, Saint Joseph’s University