Code of Conduct
2022 OAH Conference on American History | Virtual Conference on American History
Reports of sexual misconduct and sexual harassment will be made to a complaints team. The complaints team includes:
- Lara Vapnek
- Donald Rogers
- Beth A. English
- Karen Barker
Complaints may be submitted to email@example.com
To ensure the best possible experience for all members at the Virtual Conference, we have established some basic guidelines for participation.
By the virtual conference platform, you agree that you have read and will follow these rules and guidelines. Please take a moment to acquaint yourself with these important guidelines. If you have questions, please contact the meetings department. In order to preserve an environment that encourages both civil and fruitful dialogue, the OAH reserves the right to suspend or terminate your access to the virtual conference for anyone who violates these rules.
- Be respectful of all attendees, speakers, and exhibitors.
- The conference space should be used to discuss, connect, learn, and collaborate. Commercial messages and advertisements for goods and services are not allowed and will be deleted.
- Use caution when discussing products. Information posted on the discussion groups and in the libraries is available for all to see, and comments are subject to libel, slander, and antitrust laws.
- All defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive, or illegal materials are strictly prohibited. Do not post anything that you would not want the world to see or that you would not want anyone to know came from you.
- Respect intellectual property. Only post content that you have personally created or have permission to use and have properly attributed to the content creator.
- The OAH reserves the right to reject any post for any reason.
Discussion Group Etiquette
- All discussions groups use Zoom Meetings
- We encourage you to activate your camera in the discussion groups.
- Please mute your microphone if you are not speaking.
- Please speak clearly. The Meetings will be captioned by an automatic captioning service, helping those with hearing issues to follow the dialogue.
- Please feel free to use the chat box for side conversations.
Chat Room Etiquette
- All attendees, participants, and exhibitors will be able to chat in public or private. Private chats include the optional use of cameras and microphones.
- Please note the following:
- You may invite others to a private conversation but they are not obligated to accept. Please respect others preferences.
- Any conversation of a sexual or abusive nature is strictly prohibited. Please refer to the OAH Sexual Harassment Policy.
- Users may ignore (block) other users in a chat space by clicking on their name, selecting the gear icon and clicking on "ignore." Please note: the block feature only works within the session. Once you move to a different page you will have to re-block the individual.
- Users may save transcripts of private conversations. In the chat box click the gear icon and select "Export Transcript."
- Any reports of abusive behavior, sexual harassment, or sexual misconduct may result in immediate removal from the virtual conference.
OAH Harassment Policy information
The guiding principles of the OAH's new Harassment Policy are in effect for our virtual Community interactions, as well as in-person interactions at OAH sponsored events. This policy was adopted by the OAH Executive Board on December 23, 2019.
The OAH is committed to fostering an environment free from discrimination, harassment, retaliation, and other forms of sexual misconduct. Our organization’s collective professional and intellectual pursuits can only be realized when we treat one another with dignity and respect. To this end, OAH prohibits discrimination, harassment, retaliation, and other forms of misconduct on the basis of sex, gender identity, gender expression, and sexual orientation. The protections and prohibitions in this policy extend to any members and participants, including employees, contractors, vendors, volunteers, and guests taking part in OAH-sponsored events and activities. All members and participants, including employees, contractors, vendors, volunteers, and guests, shall engage in professional and respectful behavior and preserve common standards of professionalism. The full policy can be read here.
Members and participants, including employees, contractors, vendors, volunteers, and guests, should be aware that their home institution’s policies (such as Title IX) may require them to report allegations of sexual discrimination, harassment, retaliation or other forms of sexual misconduct involving people affiliated with their institution.
The Legal Stuff
This site is provided as a service for the members of the Organization of American Historians (OAH). The OAH is not responsible for the opinions and information posted on this site by others. We disclaim all warranties with regard to information posted on this site, whether posted by the OAH or any third party; this disclaimer includes all implied warranties of merchantability and fitness. In no event shall the OAH be liable for any special, indirect, or consequential damages or any damages whatsoever resulting from loss of use, data, or profits, arising out of or in connection with the use or performance of any information posted on this site.
Do not post any defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive, or illegal materials. Do not post any information or other material protected by copyright without the permission of the copyright owner. By posting material, the posting party warrants and represents that he or she owns the copyright with respect to such material or has received permission from the copyright owner. In addition, the posting party grants the OAH and users of this site the nonexclusive right and license to display, copy, publish, distribute, transmit, print, and use such information or other material.
Messages should not be posted if they encourage or facilitate members to arrive at any agreement that either expressly or impliedly leads to price fixing, a boycott of another's business, or other conduct intended to illegally restrict free trade. Messages that encourage or facilitate an agreement about the following subjects are inappropriate: prices, discounts, or terms or conditions of sale; salaries; profits, profit margins, or cost data; market shares, sales territories, or markets; allocation of customers or territories; or selection, rejection, or termination of customers or suppliers.
The OAH does not actively monitor the site for inappropriate postings and does not on its own undertake editorial control of postings. However, in the event that any inappropriate posting is brought to the attention of the OAH, we will take all appropriate action.
The OAH reserves the right to terminate access to any user who does not abide by these guidelines.